Accelerated 3rd Grade Math
Students as young as six years old may qualify to take Accelerated 3rd Grade Mathematics at HEROES. Most students enrolled for this course are 7 – 8 years old.
Students must have a minimum NWEA MAP Math and Reading of 200. In addition, students must pass our Accelerated 2nd Grade Challenge exam which covers topics such as adding and subtracting multi digit numbers, addition and subtraction word problems, place value, and writing numbers as words. Students must also be able to write complete simple sentences.
Students attend a two-hour class once a week for 36 weeks. Students should expect approximately 15 hours per day on homework. Students who master required 3rd grade standards will be introduced to more advanced topics that are normally taught in 4th Grade. Students are evaluated in January to determine if they are expected to complete both 3rd Grade and 4th Grade content. Students who master all 3rd Grade standards and most 4th Grade standards will be allowed to enroll in Accelerated 5th Grade math the following academic year.
Topics covered include:
- Place Value and Rounding to the nearest 10 or 100
- Division as the inverse of basic Multiplication Facts
- Interpretation of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Solving one- and two-step word problems
- Writing equations with variables
- Introduction to Fractions
- Measurement: Time, length, area, perimeter, volume, and mass
- Creating and Interpreting Data using Graphs, Charts, and Tables
- Two-dimensional shapes
- Students who demonstrate mastery of the above topics will also study topics listed for Accelerated 4th Grade Math
Teaching Fractions to 3rd Grade Students
Samples from our curriculum
View Accelerated 2nd Grade